So you’re looking for clarity on health coach tax deductions…
Let me ask…
Are you a health coach?
Do you work for yourself?
Are you trying to find a list that will tell you what you count as tax deductions for your business because you keep getting conflicting advice?
If you just said yes three times, then you should 100% keep reading because you’re in the right place!
I’ve worked with quite a few health coaches over the years in order to streamline their accounting and to maximize their tax deductions, so I figured I would put everything I’ve learned in one helpful health coach tax deduction list to help you get started!
Here’s the complete list for Health Coach tax deductions:
- Your blog theme and purchased plug-ins
- Your hosting (such as BlueHost)
- Your domain
- Any web design services or maintenance
- Professional photography for promotional materials
- Professional videography for promotional materials or training you offer clients
- Professional conferences and workshops admission (local and far)
- Training, certifications, and continuing education fees
- Lodging, transportation & travel costs to professional events *
- Professional styling (if needed for professional videos) *
- Graphic design
- Purchased fonts and stock photography
- Food (for hosted gatherings, as props, etc.)*
- Professional dues & subscriptions
- Editing of photos and/or videography *
- Content writers and collaborators
- Virtual assistants
- 1099 subcontractor staff
- Payroll processing (For clarity on how to pay yourself, read here. If you need a payroll processing recommendation, try Gusto.)
- Professional e-courses that will elevate your skills for running and growing your business
- Giveaways *
- Materials for photos & film shoots (job materials) *
- Legal fees (either to a professional or for legal templates)
- Gym membership (make sure you read more here about this) *
- Bookkeeping software (such as QuickBooks Online or FreshBooks)
- +27 more health coach tax deductions (download your beautiful, free checklist to get access to these 27 additional deductions below)
To get the complete tax deduction list with 27 more health coach tax deductions, make sure you download your free checklist here:
Now, pay attention to the fact that certain things are NOT included on this list…
Things like meal supplements, diet drinks, or shakes – not on this list. Also, fitness equipment doesn’t appear either.
Probably the only way to possibly be able to deduct nutritional supplements would be on the personal side (as a “medical” expense if your doctor has prescribed these to you for a documented health reason)… and my guess is that’s not likely. You may be thinking right about now that while you don’t medically qualify, surely there’s go to be some way you can deduct these items. Unfortunately, Section 262 of the IRS doesn’t allow us to take any deductions for personal, living & family expenses.
If you sell inventory of meal supplements or diet drinks, sure that’s an expense. But your consumption of it is absolutely NOT and has been well documented in tax court. Same with fitness equipment: that only counts if you use it EXCLUSIVELY for a client. Just keep that in mind!
Also, you may be thinking “Hold up! What’s with all the asterisks on this list?”
I am so glad you asked! I marked several health coach tax deductions on this list with an asterisk so that you know they’re more complex and taking them is going to require a little extra work on your part.
If you plan on taking these tax deductions you need to 1) make sure you understand all of the requirements of these deductions and, 2) keep very specific records to ensure that these deductions are never challenged by the IRS. Feel free to contact me if you have questions about these deductions.
Over to you:
Anything surprise you in this list? Are you a health coach with questions about health coach tax deductions and business expenses? Share below!